Our Surgery Center
Perimeter Outpatient Surgical Associates (POSA) is a fully accredited, state-of-the art, outpatient ambulatory surgery center (ASC) located next to our clinic on the 8th floor of the doctor’s center at Emory St. Joseph’s Hospital. Accreditation means the center has undergone a rigorous on-site survey process by a specialized team of physicians, nurses and administrators and was granted accreditation by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC). Like hospitals, the surgeons, nurses and medical professionals in our surgery center follow a very specific set of protocols and procedures that consistently lead to excellent results for surgical patients. We offer an excellent record of safety and quality outcomes to our patients.
Our doctors perform the majority of their procedures on site in our surgery center. There are many advantages to our patients in choosing a surgery center such as POSA.
- Lower Cost: Surgery centers cost on average 30 to 40% less than having a procedure in the hospital. This is because they don’t have the high overhead, such as an emergency room and staff, that a hospital is required to provide. In addition, overnight stays in the hospital increase the cost of procedures significantly. Most surgery centers, including POSA, are outpatient only, so there are no overnight stays adding to the cost.
- Reliable: With fewer physician and staff schedules to coordinate, and with less chance of being bumped for non-emergency related issues, scheduled times are more dependable.
- Family friendly: Our friendly staff offers professional personal care to patients and their families. Families and children are welcome. Being connected to both Emory St. Joseph’s Hospital and Northside Hospital, waiting families can make their way to one of three cafeterias that are undercover and within walking distance.
- Reduced infection rate: All ASCs, including POSA, are required to maintain a strict sanitary environment. Every ASC must establish and maintain programs and procedures for preventing infections. With fewer patients, medical personnel and visitors in and out of the center, infection rates are reduced significantly.
- Safe and specialized: We do only orthopedic surgery at our surgery center. Our physician assistants and nurses are focused on orthopedics and not on other disciplines like plastic surgery or ophthalmology. With fewer distractions, our staff can concentrate on patient safety, the patient experience, and the best possible patient outcomes. The staff at POSA work solely with the physicians of Perimeter Orthopaedics. Therefore, they are well-versed and experienced with the specific procedure performed by our surgeons. This familiarity, leads to a smoother procedure with less risk and faster operative times.
- Options: If you prefer not to use our surgery center, our physicians have privileges at other hospitals, including Emory St. Joseph’s Hospital. The choice of not using our surgery center exists to all of our patients.
- Location: We offer surgical patients a private entrance and exit, so they need not go through the clinic’s waiting room. Our surgery center is located in the 5673 building at Emory Saint Joseph’s Hospital in Sandy Springs directly across from Northside Hospital and minutes from I-285 and 400. We provide free, underground parking with elevator access directly to the surgery center on the 8th floor.
Outside of the many benefits ASCs offer patients, ASC’s save insurance companies money because surgery centers can be run much more efficiently than hospitals. It also saves our surgeons time and money by having all the technologically advanced equipment and personnel conveniently available next door to the clinic.